Monday, August 25, 2014

Losing a friend...

My friend, Bob Fountaine, passed away Sunday night.


He had been in a motorcycle accident last Wednesday and died from the complications of that accident.  He was only 58 years old.


It takes a certain, off-the-beaten-track kind of person to leave behind the comforts of one's home and to establish a new lifestyle in a foreign country.  I have had the pleasure to personally get to know about fifty expatriates that have chosen the challenge of moving to Ecuador, and there are not many that have done it better than Bob did.

Leaving behind a successful career as a senior executive, Bob, his wife Michelle, and their two children took that chance.  Together, they made the move and established themselves in San Jose.  They built a house for themselves and became a presence in their community.

Bob went on to build and operate a gym in Montanita.  He employed members of the community to help him run the business to supply them with jobs and income.  The business is very successful and recently needed to add a second story for yoga and other fitness classes.

The finest attribute about Bob, however, was his character.  Despite his large size (I think he was about 6'5) and intimidating build, he was one of the kindest and most caring persons I have ever met.  He was always quick with a joke, generous to a fault, and I can't recall him ever speaking negatively about another person.  The first time I met and talked with him, I knew that I could always rely and confide in him.

Goodbye, my friend.  Our entire community misses you.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute, Scott!
    What a sad, sad day it is around here now.
    He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete