Monday, April 22, 2013

Detour!

On April 17th, we set out from Wendover to Minneapolis.  The respite was nice, but it’s time to get back to work.  Checked the WY road report – looks good:



(These aren't readable at this size; the colors tell the story.)  I checked the highway report through Wyoming through the state government web site.  All clear – time to go!  We loaded up the totes in the back of the truck and headed off through the Bonneville salt flats.

Emily and I stopped for gas just outside of Salt Lake City.  While I was filling the gas, Emily was looking at the tires and thought that they looked low.  It could just be altitude change, but we decided to check them out.  I brought out my trusty tire gauge that I had had since I was 16.  All of the tires registered at around 20 PSI – oops!   We started filling the tires and that same trusty tire pump now registered the tires at 160 PSI – yikes!  We went to a local Jiffy Lube to get that corrected, and also replaced all of the fluids for colder weather.

Back on the road, we see an overhead sign that I-80 is closed!  What?!?  I had just check two hours ago and the road was clear – now it’s closed!

We went to the visitor center in Salt Lake City to get an update.  I asked one of the reception guys if he had any information on road conditions in Wyoming.  He didn’t, he said, but he did say, “I have the Internet”.  We spent the next 15 minutes looking at Wyoming travel routes and cameras, and concluded that I-80 would not work:


He also looked at I-90 (through Montana) and I-70 (through Colorado).  I-90 was showing closings  from Billings to the North Dakota state line and I-70 was closed at Loveland pass and at the Twin Tunnels.  After much discussion, I decided that none of these northern passages would work in the next week.  We’re headed south!

Our new route has added two days and 1000 miles to our trip.  We overnighted in Beaver, UT and considered taking a shortcut via Hwy 89 to avoid Las Vegas traffic.  Good this we didn’t; once we got on I-40 in AZ, we found out that the road had closed.  We sticking to interstates for the rest of our journey.

One exciting part of the trip was a drive over the new Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge!  We’ve watched it’s construction over the past few years, and it’s a marvel in engineering.  It cuts at least 45 minutes off the route from Las Vegas to Kingman, and the barriers deflect most of the cross-winds that the gorge receives.  There is also a footpath to walk the bridge (though I don’t think I’ll ever do that).  The bridge is 900’ above the Colorado river.

After stays in Flagstaff, Tucumcari, Oklahoma City and Cameron, MO, we’re stuck in Mason City, IA.  (25 mph crosswinds slowed us down between New Mexico and Missouri.)  A snowstorm is coming through the upper Midwest, and we’re not taking changes with the trailer.  We’ll get into Minneapolis tomorrow.  At least I have time to update this blog!

Here’s how the route was originally planned: (1900 miles, four days)
      California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota

Here’s how the route actually played out: (3000 miles, ten days)
      California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Nevada (again), Arizona (again), New Mexico, Texas,
      Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota

I guess you can't always believe the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment